Night public transport in Minsk from January 20
From January 20, night public transport routes will be introduced in Minsk. As an experiment, two areas were selected: Railway Station - Malinovka and Railway Station - Shabany.
Minibuses will run every hour, starting from 1 am to 5am.
If such an experiment is successful and popular with Minsk residents, fixed route buses will service other neighborhoods.
Bragin village meteorites
It is still not clear why the village is called Bragin.
Some historians claim that the village got the name of the Braginka river, some say it derives from the moorland.
Germanovichi village: Belarusian Leonardo da Vinci
Germanovichi village. It is located in the Šarkaŭščyna (Sharkovshchina) district, the Vitebsk region, the former Grand Duchy of Lithuania and today the Republic of Belarus.
According to local historians, this settlement was founded in the 13th century. Officially, the first mention about Germanovichi dates back to 1563.
Belynichi: Religious center of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania
The village Belynichi is located in the Mogilev region, Belarus. The history of this village starts with mountain Ilyinskaya. In 1240, Tatars attacked Kiev and four monks from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, taking the ancient Byzantine icon, sailed up the river Dnieper. When they reached Ilyinskaya mountain, they decided to land on the bank of the river and stay there overnight.
Barkolabovo Village: The chronicle
The Great Patriotic War didn’t affect the village of Barkalabava because of the Mother of God icon.
The village of Barkalabava, which is located in the Mogilev region, is considered to be one of the oldest settlements in Belarus and can change the Belarusian historical framework.
In 1654 Barkulab Korsak, a cavalry master, ranged eyes round the ancient settlement and decided to erect a castle on these hills to defend eastern Belarusian borders.
Soldiers offered to name the castle in honor of Barkulab with the purpose of frightening the enemy.
Tarnovo Village: Here ordinary people live in the 19th-century palace
Tarnovo is located in the Lida district of the Grodno region.
The history of Tarnovo goes back to the 17th century. It used to be in possession of such famous family as the Zawiszas.
Anna Zawisza married Peter Tarnowsky in 1690. He built an estate and called in Tarnovschina.
In 1711, Barbara Zawisza married Nicolay Faustin Radziwill. So the village became the property of the Radziwills.
Tihinichi village and its famous wine distillery
Tihinichi is located in the Rogachev district of the Gomel region. In the middle of the 17th century, colonel Symon Askerka was granted the village for the liberation of the Nesvizh and Mir castles from the Swedes.
Having appeared in possession of the Askerkas, in 1776, the village received the status of a town. In 1778, thanks to the family, a wooden church was built in Tihinichi.
Unique church in Veyno village
There are several villages in Belarus with the name Veyno. One of these villages is located in the Mogilev region, the Mogilev district.
It used to be a part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.Then the village was called Veno. Now it is part of Belarus.
Luzhki village: During WWII, bombs did not explode near the local church
Luzhki village, Sharkovshchinsky raion [Sharkovshchinsk district], the Vitebsk region.
Luzhki is situated on the banks of the Mnyuta river. For the first time the village was mentioned in the beginning of the 16th century (in 1519).
At those times, the village belonged to the famous and glorious family of Sapieha and maybe they often came to the bank and fished for crucians, tenches and pikes and during the hot summer days, they liked dipping into refreshing and pure water.
Konstantin Tsiolkovsky monument in Minsk
Gorky Park, the Svislach, sunny alleys, attractions, the planetarium and the observatory – the Belarus capital takes care of its curious children.
The monument to Konstantin Tsiolkovsky is located at the highest place of the park.
Let’s find out who this person was?
Minsk residents: The monument is located near the planetarium, maybe this person was somehow connected with cosmonautics.
Tsiolkovsky is the explorer of stars and the theorist of astronomy, famous physicist and scientist.
Ded Talash monument in Yakuba Kolosa Square
The name of Vasily Talash is familiar to every Belarusian. He was a scout of the Red Army, a leader of a partisan party, who acted heroically during the Second World War and the Polish-Soviet war.
Talash took part in military actions at the age of 100. Grigory, the main character of writer Yakub Kolas’ “Tryasina” [the Bog], became the prototype of Vasiliy Talash.
Mr Talash was acquainted with Yakub Kolas, who admired his deeds.
Khakhlova village: Humanist Symon Budny lived and worked here
According to a legend, many years ago the current place of the village was occupied by a large lake. And a little boy drowned in it. His mother cursed the lake, which is why it almost completely dried up.
Some people claim a pagan temple existed here. 400 years ago people prayed to Perun (the main pagan god).
In 1839, people decided to construct a storage for potatoes. They found a skull, three times larger than that of the present-day human.
St. Nicholas Church in Lahoysk
The town of Lahoysk (the Minsk region) is called “Belarusian Switzerland”. That’s all because the town is located on picturesque hills.
Lahoysk is one of the oldest towns in Belarus. It was first mentioned in the chronicle of 1078, thanks to Vladimir Monomakh, the Great Prince of Kyiv, who was at war with Vseslav of Polotsk.
During this war he managed to сapture Lahoysk.
Raubichi village: Unique collection of Belarusian national costumes
The village Raubichi is located in the Minsk region, Belarus.
Somewhere in the middle of the 17th century, one of local residents went into the forest and saw an icon of the Mother of God on a tree. He went back to the village and told the rest of the villagers about what had happened.
Leonpol: Monument to Europe's first constitution
Leonpol village, Miory district, Vitebsk region. When Nikolai Lopatinski, famous, educated and wealthy man, came here he was just confused. Not because of the abundance of beavers but because of all this beauty: the Dvina river, fields and forests. What else do you need to have a rest after a good work?
Novy Dvor: Village saved by an icon
Novy Dvor, which is located in the Svisloch district of the Grodno region, remembers much of the history of Belarus. In ancient times, dukes of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania feasted there and important trade routes passed through this place. Of course, wars didn’t stay away from this place either.
Gruzdovo: The miraculous Mother of God icon has been kept here since 1433
The name of the mushroom, Gruzd, has no relation to the name of the Gruzdovo village. The thing is that "gruz" is an ancient word that means "ruins". Here and now you can find many stones which indicate that once there was a castle at this place. During WWII, it was destroyed and only ruins were left. So people called this place Gruzovo.
Zhdanovichi: Sanatorium with mineral waters
Not far from our capital, there is a small village, which is located in one of the most beautiful parts of Minsk region. The village is young, but it is located in a very ancient place. Village of Zhdanovichi, Minsk district, Minsk region, Belarus.
The first settlement appeared here in the IV century.
Village of Zhdanovichi appeared thanks to a very interesting, extraordinary man - doctor Ivan Ustinovich Zdanovich.
Motol: Royal Palace of Bona Sforza
The first mention of Motol (Motaĺ) in the Lithuanian chronicles goes back to 1422.
This area belonged to the Duke of Pinsk - Prince Fyodor Yaroslavovich. After his death, the land came into possession of the Kingdom. In those days, Sigimund I was The King of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. He had a wife - a young Italian Bona Sforza, who was placed in charge of Pinsk lands.
Belavichy: Birthplace of mother of Russian tsar Ivan the Terrible
Belavichy Village. The village is located in the Ivatsevichi district, the Brest region, which is the former Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Today it is the territory of the Republic of Belarus.
Some say the name of the village came from the family name Belavich, while others claim the name originates from the word Bel’ that means a low marshy place.
Ruchitsa: summer residence of Belarusian composer Ogiński
The summer residence of the famous Belarusian composer Mikhail Kleofas Oginski was located in the village Ruchitsa, the Vilejka district, where once the manor of the Oginski family Ganuta was also located.
Tadeusz Oginski was not an ordinary man. He was just twenty-one when he got involved in politics as a deputy to the two-week Sejm in Warsaw and already in his 30’s, he became a senator and castellan of Trakai.
In those days Tadeusz Oginski had a lot of estates, but the manor Ganuta was his favorite one.
Vaŭkavysk: The crown of the Grand Duke of Lithuania
The town of Vaŭkavysk, the Grodno region. They say that once impassable bogs and a dense forest were located here.
A gang under the command of two brothers, Volok and Vysek, operated in that forest.
They robbed and murdered passers-by. People were afraid to go to these places. But once, a brave man, Zaveyka, eliminated the gang and set up a settlement there. For some reason Vaŭkavysk settlers named the place after the two brothers. The settlement is still called Vaŭkavysk.
Adampol village was first to abolish serfdom
The village of Adampol was founded in 1810 by Belarusian landowner Mr Adam. The second part of the word, ‘pol’, means ‘city’. In the 18th century, this land was the Radziwiłłs’ property.
And in the 19th, it was bought by Adam Chreptowicz, Lithuanian chancellor’s son.
He was a famous patron of arts, philanthropist and a military leader.
Bystrica: The oldest village in Belarus
The village of Bystrica is located on the riverside of the Vilya. It is considered the most ancient settlement in Belarus, connected with Migration Period and the Krivichy tribe who moved eastwards.
The Viliya became an obstacle for the Krivichy.
The tribe were looking for a possible crossing and eventually found it. A suitable place was found at the confluence of the Bystrica and the Vilya. The Bystrica is a small but fast river.
Minsk monuments connected with wars
Minsk abounds in war memorials. The Soviet Union’s war in Afghanistan took an infinite number of people. The Island of Courage and Sorrow is a sacred place for veterans. They gather here every year and pay tribute to the memory of the fallen. The monument of Angel completes the architectural essence of the island.
Skidel: Restored Roman Catholic chapel
Once this place in the Grodno region was called ”Skid”.
This name comes from the old Baltic word ”skidos”, which means ”a shield” (from the Russian language).
The warriors lived in this place. In the 16th century, the Skidel [Skidzyel] village was in the center of the volost (a small rural district), with three voivodeships being its parts. Despite all this, the settlement itself was very small.
Perhaps, the size of the settlement would remain so small, but Władysław IV Vasa decided to found a small town on the territory of Skidel.
Volno village: Holy Trinity Church
Volno village in the Baranovichi district, the Brest region, was founded by resilient people who could and were good at making their own choices. Together with Belarusian monuments, antique names such as “Volno” were preserved.
“Volno” comes from the old word “will” and “will” sounds the same way in the different languages and means “strength”, “expectation”, “power”, and “choice”.
Old paving stones in Minsk streets. Where can you find a piece of the past?
Until the 16th century Minsk streets did not have any pavement. In those days the sewage system did not exist and all the sewages poured out on the streets.
There was plenty of wood and people made pavement from it. And in the late 16th - early 17th century, first paved yards appeared.
Sergei Tarasov, Candidate of Historical Sciences, archaeologist:First paving stones appeared in the late 18th century. And those who drive into the city had to pay a road tax.
First mills appeared in Minsk only in late 15th century
Once a sorcerer, named Menesk, settled on the river Svisloch and built a mill here. Nobody has ever seen him and people just spun stories about his heroic strength.
They said that he could grind stones into flour and believed that at night, travelling around the Svisloch land, he gathered his own army. As a result, a separate nation appeared and this place, near the Svisloch river, was named after its legendary founder - Menesk.
Invisible squares in Minsk
8 Marta Square (8 March Square)
Many Minsk citizens do not know about the existence of 8 March Square even when they are there.
However, do not blame the local residents. There are no traditional monuments in this place dedicated to Lenin or Stalin and so on. Besides, this triangle area does not justify its name. There are not many attractions there – just a pavement and a lawn.
The place was overshadowed by the Niamiha subway station inauguration.
Red buildings in Minsk
In the early 20th century, the central streets of Minsk were lined with many redbrick buildings. However, now, in the city of skyscrapers, the original "gingerbread style" is a sheer rarity. Time has not been kind to the unique setting, but the city is always ready to open new pages of history.
Nowadays it’s hard to notice an old-fashioned building on the picturesque banks of the Svisloch river. It used to be a wine distillery at the beginning of the 20th century.
Druya Village, Vitebsk region
Druya is a village situated on the left bank of the Zapadnaya Dvina, near the confluence with the river Druyka.
It is not known exactly when the village was created: in the Stryikovsky chronicle, it dates back to 1386, while in other chronicles the beginning of the 15th century is mentioned.
Kreva Village: The place of Grand Dukes' intrigues
The history of Krevskiy Castle [Kreva Castle] is quite rich but one can find only its ruins at present.
In 1338 Gediminas, The Grand Duke of Lithuania, handed over the reins of government to his son Olgerd [Algirdas]. This is the first documented mention of Kreva Castle and it is considered the first construction date.
After the death of Olgerd, Yagaylo became the owner of castle. One of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania - Kęstutis - was strangled in the basement of this very castle.
Antonovsky Park in Minsk
Antonovsky Park is located between zavulak Klumova (Klumova Side Street), Partyzanski praspekt (Partyzanski Avenue) and Planiornaja vulica (Planiornaja Street). It's not far from the city center, but these are quite wild places with waterfalls on the Slepyanskaya water system, where citizens often bathe.
In the middle of the 19th century, Archbishop Antony Zubko created a model farm on the right bank. Soon the area was named Antonovka, and in 1928 Antonovsky park was opened.
After WWII, its territory was built up, with the park being revived nearby.
Belarus: Basic information
Republic of Belarus
President of Belarus
Alexander Lukashenko (1994 - present)
Prime Minister of Belarus
Andrei Kobyakov (December 2014 - present)
Total land area of Belarus
Nationality of Belarus
Population – 9.468,2 million (on 1 January 2014)
Do you think the Belarus capital isn’t rich in urban legends? The CTV decided to walk across Minsk and collect the most unusual stories.
Today it is impossible to imagine Minsk without these bronze sculptures. They embody the real architectural spirit of the city. Many of them become local legends immediately after having appeared on streets.
For example, if a lonely guy sits for a while on a bench with the Townswoman in Mikhaylovsky Square and strokes the lady’s knee, he will shortly meet his soulmate.
Belarus to cancel visas with Brazil, Ecuador
Belarus has completed the domestic ratification procedures in line with agreements with Brazil and Ecuador on the abolition of visas. The texts of these agreements were published at the national legal website on January 6.
The agreement between the governments of Belarus and Brazil on visa abolition for short trips was ratified by the virtue of the relevant Belarus' law as of December 29, 2014.
Monument to Holocaust victims in Minsk
More than 5,000 Jews were killed in this place of present-day Minsk. The eloquent memorial to the victims of the Holocaust makes everyone stop and think.
Its authors (architect Leonid Levin and sculptor Maksim Petrul) approached the project philosophically.
Sadness and sorrow are reflected in furniture. A table as a family gathering place with huge cracks and a broken chair. The monument embodies disturbed people's comfort.
Anti-cafe in Minsk
As of January 2015, there were three anti-cafes in Minsk:
Address: Minsk, 69 Masksim Tank Street
Working hours: Daily from Monday to Sunday from 09:00 till 23:00
Anti-cafe “Dom Talanta”
Address: Minsk, 58 Nezavisimosti Avenue
Anti-cafe “Dom Fishera”
Address: Minsk, 84A Nezavisimosti Avenue
Sunday-Thursday 12:00 p.m till 23:00 p.m
every Friday from 12:00 p.m till 7:00 a.m.;
Suvorov Military School in Minsk
From the Niamiha metro station to the Suvorov Military School
The story of all Cadet-type institutions starts with the main entrance. However, the main entrance to the Seminary, the predecessor of Suvorov Military School, was the same - three doors and a facade facing a busy street. As cadets say, from this entrance they make first steps in apprehending the mystery of the military profession.
Interior of Minsk governor’s house
From the Niamiha metro station to the Governor's house
Mikhail Savitsky’s Art Gallery is located in the building of former estate of the 18th century with a rich history.
Look for arches in Minsk and make wishes under them!
Not so many old houses with arches remained in Minsk but all of them are echoes of the Stalinist era. Such “walk-through” buildings appeared in Minsk during the postwar period, but the origin of this architectural element has its roots in antiquity.
Park of 40th Anniversary of October Revolution in Minsk
Once the area where the present-day Park of the 40th Anniversary of the October Revolution is located was called Koshary. This is where a city racetrack was located and a famous Victory Day parade held. Moreover, Nazis were executed there.
Now this cozy corner has lost half of its trees because of the construction of the hotel Beijing.
Nearest metro station: Pieršamajskaja
Beer museum in Minsk
Address: 30 Kisileva Street (30 vulica Kisialiova)
Excursion days: Wednesday-Sunday.
Scheduled time for excursions:
4.00 pm-5.30 pm
6.00 pm-7.30 pm
To become a visitor you need to fill in the application available on the official web-site: http://www.alivaria.by/en/museum/exposition/Pages/default.aspx and send it to email@example.com
Former Minsk racetrack: The place where 14 Nazis were executed in public
The first and the only Minsk racetrack was located at the site of the present Park of the 40th Anniversary of the October Revolution. It has a short but eventful history.
A great number of military barracks (called “koshary”) were situated in this area. That’s why the district was called “Kosharski” and the present Krasnoarmeyskaya Street – Kosharskaya Street.
Location of the racetrack on the present-day map. The nearest metro station is Pieršamajskaja
Staryye Dorogi: First bus station in Belarus
People say that all roads lead to Rome. One of such roads has led us to the town of Staryye Dorogi [in Belarusian: Staryja Darohi].
Ages and ages ago, there was a huge swamp where today’s town is situated.
And those people who inhabited this place were called The Dregoviches (“drehva”, or “dryahva” means "swamp" in Belarusian). It is said that these people were strong as bears. They could walk all along the swamps just like a tank; there was nothing they could be afraid of.
Rozhanka: First neo-gothic church in Belarus
Rozhanka [Ražanka] village, Schuchinsky raion [in English: Schuchin district], Grodno region.
In former times, a Polish landowner was living there. He travelled a lot and from each trip he brought amazing roses. As time goes by there was collected a great number of roses at the estate. So the place got the name Rozhanka or Ruzhanka (“ruzha” means a rose in Belarusian).
It is a really ancient place. The first reference to it dates back to 1537, to the letters of the Grand Duke of Lithuania and the King of Poland Sigismund I the Old.
Retro. Minsk in 1973
A Belarusian TV report about how Minsk is developing and growing (1973).
More about Minsk in the past.
Remembrance memorial in Dzerzhinsky Avenue
The Remembrance memorial was unveiled in Minsk’s Dziaržynskaha Avenue [Dzerzhinsky Avenue] on November 7, 2013.
Getting there: The nearest subway station is Piatroushchyna
The memorial complex is next to 84 Dziaržynskaha Avenue, please ask passers-by for exact location. It is called Memorial Pamyat in Russian.
Berezhnoe: Home to glorious Olesha family
The Berezhnoe village is situated in the Brest region in the south-west of Belarus and occupies a bank of the Horyn River.
The 659 km long Horyn River takes its source in Ukraine and flows into the Pripyat River and then to the Black Sea. Supposedly, first inhabitants journeyed either from the Black Sea, or even from the Danube.
From 1508, a noble family of the Oleshas owned Berezhnoe for four centuries. The surname Olesha derives from the family’s ancestor’s name Alexander, whose child’s nickname was “Olesha.”
Radomlya: Village of Belarusians’ ancestors
Let's take a look at the former capital of the Slavic tribe Radimichi - the town that dates back to the time when the tribe’s forefather Radim lived. Welcome to the Radomlya village in the Mogilev region.
In the 10th century, Radimichi journeyed to the left bank of the Raducha river and established the town that became the capital of their tribe’s territory and was named after them.
Baran village: Birthplace of first rail transport radio stations
Baran village, Orsha raion [Orsha district], Vitebsk region.
In 1873, the nobleman Menzhinsky finds out that ages and ages ago there was a place in the estate of Baran, Vitebsk region, where ore was mined, iron was smelted and bullets and cannon-balls were produced.
That is why he decides to establish there a nail producing factory. He brings the first steam-engine as well as manufacturing machines from Germany and Switzerland and the factory begins to produce not only nails but also springs.
Drysviaty: Legend of Treasure Island
Scientists believe that the name of this village located in Braslaw raion [Braslav district] in the Vitebsk region means “lake” or “water”.
Isn’t it wonderful that the village lies on the shore of the lake with the same beautiful name Drisvyaty?
Drisvyaty is situated at the border with Lithuania. As people say it is right at its doorstep; if one goes by lake, Lithuania is just two paddle strokes away.
Scientists say that the word “drisvyaty” came from Lithuanian and means “to have the courage”, “to dare”.
Monuments to prominent Belarusians outside Belarus
Having a memorial in your homeland is one thing, but if a person has one abroad, it marks his great achievements and multiplies respect.
The CTV would like to introduce Belarusians who obtained the highest degree of recognition.
Ischalna village: The only sundial in Belarus
The Ischalna village is located in the west of Belarus. Even scientists don’t know where this name came from. But what they do know is that this word is of a Baltic origin and that the village was founded by the Balts.
The village has existed since the end of the 15th century as a princely possession owned by prince Alexander.
Revolyutsionnaya Street in Minsk
One of the most beautiful ancient Minsk streets - Revolyutsionnaya Street (former Koydanovskaya Street), runs down from the Upper Town to Gorodskoi Val Street. Its classic low-rise buildings conjure up images of old Europe.
This street appeared on the map of Minsk in the 16th century. The first description of houses dates back to 1530.
Oktyabrskaya (Kastryčnickaja) Square in Minsk
Nearby metro station: Kastryčnickaja (blue line) or Kupalaŭskaja (red line). Note that this is in fact the same metro station (transfer from one line to the other).
More on the Minsk subway
No English language announcements in Minsk metro from January 1, 2015
From 1 January 2015, English-language announcements will be removed from Minsk metro. The year of hospitality ended in Belarus.
Minsk authorities explain the move by their intention to make stops shorter. Minsk subway press-secretary Andrey Kuzmin said: "First, the Year of Hospitality in Belarus is coming to an end. Secondly, it is no secret that English-language announcements make stops longer.
Minsk Sea (Minskoye More Lake)
HOW TO GET TO MINSK SEA
From the center of Minsk, take the highway Minsk - Molodechno (journey time is about 25 minutes).
Another option is a train service from the Minsk railway station in the direction of Molodechno to the stop "Minskoye More".
Monument to Minsk mineral water source in Gorky Park
An unusual monument is located in Minsk's Gorky Park. It is dedicated to the first source, from which the history of the popular mineral water brand "Minskaya-4" began.
85 years ago, in 1929, famous geologist Gerasim Bogomolov discovered a groundwater source at a depth of 400 meters, right at this place.
Now Minsk Soft Drink Factory extracts mineral water from four wells. Emphasis is made on the natural and organic origin of the product.
Air conditioning, CCTV in Minsk public transport in 2015
Air conditioning and surveillance cameras will be installed in Minsk public transport in 2015.
The city plans to purchase 215 buses, 60 trolleybuses and five five-car subway trains. Ten buses running on natural gas will be acquired, too.
More on transport in Minsk
The main advantage of such vehicles is reduced amount of harmful emissions into the atmosphere, by five times compared with buses running on fuel oil.
Park of Stones in Minsk
This place has not officially received the status of a museum, but has been considered as such for nearly three decades. You will hardly meet anything like that in other capitals of Europe.
Only Lithuania has created a similar museum, but it is several times smaller than that in Minsk. Here are several interesting facts about the museum.
When did Joseph Stalin monuments disappear from Minsk?
Former leaders descend from pedestals. 62 years ago, a huge monument to Joseph Stalin was erected in Minsk. Now we can see it only in the photos.
Do Minsk citizens know where the Father of All Nations stood in Minsk?
Minsk residents:I know. Here, in the corner, in October Square.
Sorry, I can't help you.
I cannot even remember.
Here, in the square, in the middle.
If this was Stalin Square, probably it stood here.
New Year trees lit up in Minsk
New Year trees were lit up in Minsk on December 15. The "green beauties" are located near the National Library, the Palace of Sports, Minsk Arena and Chizhovka Arena, the Ice Palace, the Town Hall and in some other places of the Belarus capital.
Korma village: Unsuccessful uprising against Soviet power
Korma [in Belarusian: Karma village] is located in the Gomel region. Formerly, it was part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. At present, it is located in the Republic of Belarus.
There are a lot of settlements in Belarus called Korma. As for the name of the settlement, people living in the Gomel region say “korma” referring to a creek. And this creek comes from the Sozh river near the village.
A lot of ancient burial mounds and sites of the settlements survived on the banks of the river.
Perebrodye: Village with own coat of arms
Perebrodye is located in the Miory district, the Vitebsk region. Formerly, it was the part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Today it is located in the Republic of Belarus.
The Vitebsk region is very rich in mysterious boulders. There is one of these boulders near the village. You can find human footprint on it.
No one knows who left it, but there is an interesting fact: when the boulder is covered with moss, the footprint is always clean. Belarusian pagan ancestors believed that almighty God of the Sun left this footprint.
Kazakhstan parliament votes for simplified stay of Belarusians
The Kazakhstan parliament ratified the agreement on a simplified stay of Belarusian citizens in that country on December 11.
In accordance with the agreement, Kazakhstan and Belarus will establish a simplified procedure for their citizens' stay in both countries without compulsory registration within 30 days.
Belarus ratified the agreement in June 2014.
Minsk subway bans headphones
New Minsk metro rules state in chapter 6 ("The rights, duties and responsibilities of passengers) that "passengers are obliged not to use earphones, except for hearing aids, while on the platform."
Andrey Kuzmin, spokesman for Minsk Subway, noted:
“This has been done to protect passengers. It often happens that people are standing on the platform and listening to music in earphones and they do not hear important information. I of course don't mean advertisements.
Zamoshye is located in the Braslov district, the Vitebsk region. Formerly, it was the part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Today it is located in the Republic of Belarus.
There are more than 50 settlements with the name Zamoshye in Belarus, and most of them are located in the Vitebsk region (more than 30). The name derives from the word “moss” [“mokh” in Russian]. All these villages probably appeared on the upland near the waterlogged lowland where moss grew.
Bolteniki village: Nobleman Wawrzyniec Puttkamer's story
Bolteniki village is located in the Voronovo district, the Grodno region. Formerly, it was part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Today it is located in the Republic of Belarus.
The name of the village has a Baltic origin.
The Baltic tribe Dainova once lived on the territory of the village. In the early 18th century, the village belonged to the Protestant family Schroeder. From 1723 till 1932, the village became the property of the Puttkamer family.
Foreigners about Belarusian food
Despite the fact that Belarusian products have been temporarily banned in Russia, people in different countries praise and like Belarusian food and want to see it on the counters.
Sausage lovers from Suomi praise Servelat "Finsky” [Finnish]. It is made in Belarus.
Christer Bjorkstam: It tastes excellent! This old good taste…
Monument to St. Sergius of Radonezh in Minsk
On June 23, 2014, a monument to St. Sergius of Radonezh was opened and a capsule laid in the foundation of the future temple.
In 2014, the entire Orthodox world celebrates the 700th anniversary of the birth of the monk. Sergius of Radonezh is one of the most venerated saints. He is considered the patron of Slavic lands.
Urban games in Minsk: These guys know every inch of the city
Aleksei has known these city games for a long time. He has been playing and organizing them for about 10 years. He knows Minsk like the back of his hand. Let`s check it!
The first destination – the Alley of Friendship. We are by no means interested in the famous avenue of chestnut trees. Our attention is focused on the "sign of spiritual kinship of the countries of the world." As it turned out, it was not that easy to find it.
Myasnikova Square in Minsk: Violate traffic rules to explore it
Myasnikova Square is located in the Oktyabrsky district of modern Minsk. This place on the map of Minsk is located in the heart of our city. It is surrounded by many important buildings, such as the Ministry of Finance, the presidential library, Sendai Public Garden and the main building of the Belarusian State Pedagogical University.
Nearest metro station: Plošča Lenina [Lenin Square].
Archcathedral of Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The Archcathedral of Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the main Roman Catholic cathedral in Belarus.
The first mention of the cathedral dates back to 1700, when the Jesuit order started the construction of the Catholic cathedral. The cathedral became a part of the Jesuit collegium, which, back then, was a very important educational center of the city.
Ten years later, the Bishop of Vilna Constantius Bzhastovsky consecrated the cathedral. However, the construction wasn’t finished for some more decades.
19th Century Schoolhouses in Minsk
The buildings of Minsk Government Boys’Gymnasium, Ministerial Gymnasium and Mariinskaya Girls’ Gymnasium are among the most well-known schools in the city that functioned before the Russian Revolution of 1917.
A notable fact is that the first Belarusian gymnasium was set up a hundred years earlier than the one in the Russian Empire. Moreover, in the19th century, education was provided by various school types such as elementary schools, high schools commonly referred to as gymnasia, seminaries, and some others.
Church of the Holy Spirit in Minsk: Place for newlyweds
Created in the style of Northern Renaissance in the 17th century, the original temple was meant to be a part of the architectural ensemble, along with the square, the City Hall and the trade arcade.
The Church of the Holy Spirit belonged to a monastery complex. Back at the beginning of the last century, it was the major Orthodox church in the city and was destroyed in the 1930s.
The only part to survive was the foundation that was saved along with all the archaeological finds.
Forgotten castles and sights of Belarus
Since Belarusian "must visit" places list includes top-notch castles in Mir, Nesvizh and Navahrudak, the country is primarily known as a land of castles with their names ringing a bell in foreign countries.
Independence Avenue in Minsk
Every day a bevy of buildings of historical significance don’t draw close attention of passers-by, even though most of them have plaques attached to their walls stating that they are included in the list of Cultural Properties of Belarus. A sight can be added to the list only by agreement with the city authorities.
Holy shrines of Borisov
Borisov is one of the oldest Belarusian towns. It was founded by Boris Vseslavovich, the Prince of Polotsk. The Berezina River divides the town into two parts. The left-side part is called Staro Borisov (old Borisov) and the right-side part – Novo Borisov (New Borisov).
By the middle of the 13th century, due to its geographical position, Borisov became a trading center. In 1563, the town was granted the Magdeburg right.
Belarusian reconstructing Lyubchansky Castle
Lyubchansky Castle is rarely included in the excursion programs. Tourists who visit Novogrudok are often unaware of the existence of such an interesting monument nearby.
For all that, there is something to see and to save. This is only one case in Belarus when people without special education and public investments began to restore the castle.
Earlier, no one thought of restoring the ancient castle. Ten years ago a native of Lyubcha Ivan Pechinsky, bet on that he together with like-minded people could restore the ancient stronghold without budget money.
Secrets passages from Minsk brewery to Komarovsky Market
Located at the Bogdanovicha Street end of Kiseleva Street, the old red building of the first Minsk brewery is a magnet for passers-by.
The history of the brewery starts on January 28, 1864 with Minsk bourgeois Rokhlya Frumkinova to appeal to Alexander II of Russia for permission to build a wooden house for a brewery. Constructed across the street from the current one, it had been run by Rokhlya for almost 20 years.
Sophia of Slutsk monument in Minsk
Opening of the monument of Holy Righteous Sophia of Slutsk was held in the territory of the Orthodox parish in Minsk.
To display the image of righteous defender of Belarusian land in details, sculptor Mikhail Inkov and architect Nikolai Lukyanchik were working on the monument studying not only the iconographic literature, but also the life of princess. The bronze silhouette weighs more than a ton and is three meters in height.
Minsk origin: new version
“In 1067, Izyaslav, Svyatoslav, Vsevolod, having gathered soldiers, went to a battle against Vseslav in cold weather. They approached Minsk, and the citizens shut themselves inside the city. The brothers captured Minsk, killed all men, took women and children with them as the spoils of war and went to the river Nyamiha. And Vseslav finally came to fight against them.
They met at Nyamiha on March 3; it snowed heavily, and the troops approached each other, and there was a severe fight, and many people fell…”
History of the Belarusian Hydrometeorological Center
Every day, as soon as we wake up, we wonder what the weather is going to be like. Nowadays, we can easily get the answer to this question from a variety of sources of information. By the way, the first televised weather forecast appeared in Britain, in 1936. But what was before that?
It is impossible to say exactly when people started to pay attention to weather and track its changes.
Seven wonders of Belarus: Mir Castle
Anton and his friends spent two days to come to Belarus from Russia to get acquainted with Belarus’ history. A good car-parking place and a hotel are as important as excursions. In Mir Castle, the Russians found everything they wanted.
Anton Ilyin, autotourist (Russia):I am glad that the government looks after such monuments. The Castle is in good state.
Mogilev Town Hall
Mogilev Town Hall used to be a court, a registry office, a prison, a fire observation tower, and a military radio station.
Two years ago, the Town Hall was renovated. Having changed the appearance, it didn’t change its history. It is an architectural monument of Magdeburg law, which the city received in 1577. Town Hall appeared a year later, as an essential symbol of self-government.
Transformations of Minsk's Plekhanova Street
This is one of the main roads of the Serebryanka district, Minsk. The district has been under construction for a very long time.
Plekhanova Street stretches from Partizanski Avenue to Yakubova Street. There used to be a very long and wide ravine with a very beautiful name Serebryanyi Log (Silver Ravine). In the 19th century, it was a very popular outing place among Minsk residents.
During World War II, 80% of dwelling houses were ruined. After the war, the construction of low storey houses seemed to be the only reasonable solution to the housing problem.
Boulevards appeared in Minsk only after 1930
With the coming of spring the residents of Minsk took a fancy to each green corner in the city. Besides parks and squares, people also like boulevards. By the way, there are 21 boulevards in the Belarus capital. Do we really know the past of the famous Minsk boulevards?
Before the year 1930, there were no boulevards in Minsk. It happened due to narrow streets’ planning. The first one appeared on the spot of the modern Bobruiskaya Street. However, it didn’t play an aesthetic role. First of all, it was a live barrier between the city and the railroad noise.
More than 300,000 one-liter bottles needed to fill up the biggest fountain in Minsk
There are more than 100 fountains in Minsk and with each year this number is increasing. The season of fountains has been officially opened. Furthermore control-gears are getting more complicated. The fountains are getting bigger, stronger and more beautiful.
In some mysteries ways the fountains make the city more attractive. With their beating pours they infuse a fresh spirit into it, bring the city architecture back to life. Minsk residents make appointments near them, come to have a rest and just feast their eyes upon these marvels of engineering.
Zyabki village: The deepest lake in Belarus
Residents of the village Zyabki live on the bank of the deepest lake of Belarus and dream that soon they will again have a good living, as a hundred years ago.
The village Zyabki is located in the Vitebsk region.
Residence permit in Belarus
A permit for permanent residence in the Republic of Belarus will provide foreign citizens and stateless persons with the rights and freedoms equal to those of citizens of the Republic of Belarus (socio-economic rights, labor rights, business and other activities, property and personal rights, right to health and education).
Individuals eligible for permanent residence in the Republic of Belarus
Memorial to Austrian Jews unveiled in Minsk
A memorial was unveiled at the former Jewish cemetery in Minsk in commemoration of Austrian Jews who during the Great Patriotic War were deported and killed in the Minsk ghetto.
There are already 4 war memorials in honor of the victims of anti-Semitism.
Representatives of the Austrian authorities attended the opening ceremony.
Mysteries of Minsk rivers
There are some interesting facts you should know about the Minsk water system.
1) The Nemiga
Minsk was first mentioned in connection with the river Nemiga. There was a time when the Nemiga had two prongs: one rounded the Minsk Tower, another saved its course and still flows into the Svisloch. Time makes its allowances. The Nemiga had one peculiarity: after heavy rains it flooded the surrounding areas, including the market square. Thanks to technologic advance, it was decided that the Nemiga would flow in the tubes.
Ship-shaped BNTU building No.15
This design was put into effect in the early 1980s and it is ahead of time.
The reconstruction of building No.15 of the Belarusian National Technical University (BNTU) was launched in 2007. Land improvement was carried out till 2008. And now builders are involved in the reconstruction of the “ship” itself. The reason was quite obvious – the dreadful coldness in winter.
Kastusya Kalinovskogo Street and All Saints Church in Minsk
The street in honor of the Belarus revolutionary democrat, the thinker and the publicist, appeared in the capital only in 1963. A hundred years after the fatal January Uprising (1863-1864).
Kalinouski is often called “the most outstanding person in the Belarus history”. He was the first person to raise the issue of Belarusian people’s rights and revival of Belarus’ statehood in a hundred years of intervention.
Who can become a citizen of the Republic of Belarus
Citizenship of the Republic of Belarus shall be acquired:
- by birth within the country;
- by naturalization;
- by registration;
- in view of other reasons provided by the law.
Acquisition of Citizenship of the Republic of Belarus by birth
A child shall be a citizen of the Republic of Belarus by birth if by the time of the child's birthday:
- at least one of the parents is a citizen of the Republic of Belarus regardless of the place of the child’s birth;