Complicated history of Kollektornaya Street


Complicated history of Kollektornaya Street

Kollektornaya Street, in spite of such an industrial name, is actually one of the oldest streets in Minsk. It was founded in the late 60s of the XIX century. In 1868, the old Jewish graves were moved to this area. At that time, the Jewish cemetery was located on the territory of modern stadium Dinamo.

Sergei Kharevsky, art critic, historian of architecture:
Many older tombstones were moved here. And this street, which arose along this cemetery, originally and until 1919 was called Moiseyevskaya. It was in honor of the prophet Moses.

With the establishment of the Soviet power, this street was named as Jewish Street. A few buildings from that era have survived here, for example, the white house on the corner of Sukhaya and Kollektornayastreets.

A well-known mason of the Minsk province Berkovich, who manufactured the tombstones and was the keeper of the Jewish cemetery, lived there in the 1900s. A gardener Pelagia Kazak and the officer of the Libau-Romny Railway, a Kuzma Ivanovich, lived nearby.

Sergey Kharevsky, art critic, historian of architecture:
The wooden house, which is over 150 years old, which is formally included in the list of historical and cultural heritage, is the only one that remained here since. Everything is genuine, from the vaults to kilns of the XIX century. It gives us an idea how the whole building looked.

Until 1934, the street was called Jewish, and who would have thought that after seven years Jews would be shot here... During WWII and the events of the Holocaust, these homes were within the boundaries of the Minsk ghetto, and in Obuvnaya Street, there was Sonderghetto, where the Nazis resettled Jews from Eastern and Western Europe.

There were no windows or electricity in the buildings. Women, elderly, and children remained in the ghetto, but the rest went mandatory works. This house is witness of terrible events.

Sergey Kharevsky, art critic, historian of architecture:
This area is a mass grave for tens of thousands Jews which were brought here for the purpose of eliminating from the Czech Republic, Germany and Poland. Already in 1990, this stadium for the college was built here. They raised a large layer of soil with bones.

Today, the historical territory is a park. The tomb of the Minsk ghetto victims is located here and the victims’ memory is perpetuated. The memorial table and the chair is the author's work of Leonid Levin.

The Germans dug about four pits at this place, and more than five thousand people were liquidated here.

But why is the name of the street Kollektornaya?

Sergey Kharevsky, art critic, historian of architecture:
In 1934, on the corner with Nemiga Street, there was made a big deep reservoir which controlled the river Nemiga. Since then, there have been no more of those famous floods. The street was renamed Kollektornaya in honor of this important structure here.

By the way, the collector existed until the mid-1950s.

More interesting is the story of buildings. In the building of MinskGrazhdanProyekt was once the house of the editors of the legendary magazine Architecture and Construction of Belarus.The lobby of this building in 1987 became famous as the first independent avant-garde exhibition of the Association of the Creative Intelligentsia Forma.

Sergey Kharevsky, art critic, historian of architecture:
It was a famous exhibition. Such known artists as Artur Klinov, Victor Petrov, Todor Kopsha, Alexei Zhdanov exhibited their works here. The exhibition was very interesting and scandalous.

Sergey Kharevsky, art critic, historian of architecture:
The house of celebrations Paris with large rooms, cafes, canteens, where it was possible to take hundreds of people to gather in the grand hall, was a part of these buildings complex.

This place in Kollektornaya Street has played an important role in world politics.

Sergey Kharevsky, art critic, historian of architecture:
Guests from other corners of Europe arrived here. The party "Workers of Zion" was formed here.

The street changed appearance and the name, but carefully keeps the memory about the affairs of bygone days. It definitely deserves more memorial signs and plaques.