You are here

How does Belarus cope with influx of refugees?

A wave of migrants from the Middle East has not touched Belarus but our country is also hosting refugees. The majority of them come from Ukraine and other places of the FSU. 

This Chechen woman with three children and a disabled husband has been living at the Brest railway station for a week. She several times "storms" the border with the European Union.

Lisa Osmalova:
We live at the station, we spend nights and eat. And every morning we buy return tickets.

Lisa tried to cross the border 7 times. Some locals made about 30 attempts. Therefore, every day hundreds of Chechens, Georgians and Syrians buy Brest - Terespol train tickets and go to Poland to obtain a refugee status. 

Refugee:
I've got a wife in Germany. But I am not allowed to see my wife.

The flow of refugees to the Belarusian-Polish border increased sharply since mid-August. 

Sergey Vishnyakov, head of border control of Brest Border Group:
The adjacent side takes about 10% of those who attempt to go there. The remaining 90% return to Belarus, which creates some problems in conducting border controls. Since we are obliged to carry out preventive measures. We don't want these citizens to cross the Belarusian state border with the European Union in places where it is not allowed.

The Dygodyuk family managed to take only documents. They came to Belarus from the Luhansk region of Ukraine a year ago. Belarusians helped them with food and things. In the Berezino district, the Ukrainian family were offered a house and a job.

Irina Dygodyuk:
Your agriculture in Belarus differs much from that in Ukraine. You support it in every way. Because the state is more concerned about it. And in Ukraine officials only think about how to take money.

This Tajik couple thinks that Belarus is their second home.

Viloyat Asimova:
Minsk is my favorite city, this is my country. When I come to Tajikistan, I always hear positive things about this country. My mother always said that she was glad that I live in Belarus, where it is calm.

Rustam has found a job in the sphere of information technologies. He now manages an IT company.

Rustam Asimov:
It is Belarus who has the best conditions for the general development of IT. It is important that I have intellectuals around me. And Belarus is exactly the country where I can find these people.

Viloyat and Rustam feel at home in Minsk. After all, here they found their calling, raising children and enjoying life.

Tajik family in Belarus