Minsk's historical district Pleschanka: Old names of new streets

Cats

Minsk's historical district Pleschanka: Old names of new streets

Pleschanka. This is how the area bounded by the current streets of Rosa Luxemburg and Karl Liebknecht (then it was Matveevskaya Street and Little Lutheran) was called 100 years ago.

The Musical Theatre, from which the current Pleschanka begins, was built in the 80s, but on the old basis. Before the war the streets of Clara Zetkin housed the garment factory October, then it was renamed several times and became the association Sukno (Cloth).

Next, the main production facilities were moved into Matusevicha Street and the old factory building was demolished. This enterprise had a club on the basis of which a musical theater was built. Artist Leonid Silber adorned the entrance to the theater with muse sculptures. He also created a unique composition "Batleyka", which depicts the folk puppet theater and its main characters.

The brick old building close to the musical theater has always attracted attention. This is where the historical Pleschanka began. What remained is the original home at 38 Myasnikova Street, which for many years housed the Faculty of Journalism of the Belarusian State University before the construction of the new building in Kalvariyskaya Street.

In our days Minsk also includes the village Malyavki in the Serebryanka district. Therefore, in the second half of the 30s, the alley was renamed in honor of Clara Zetkin. This small street of wooden houses existed in this form until the mid-70s. Then the buildings were demolished and a big trunk was built, which still exists today.

Malyavsky Alley disappeared long ago but there is a small remnant of the street of Karl Liebknecht of the old days - this very barrack, house No21, built in 1939. It miraculously survived.

Not far behind the fragrant apple trees, there hides another old building of 1952.Of course, they will all be demolished soon.

The fate of the retro corner of Minsk has been decided. Here, in Bogushevich Square, there will be built an underground station of the third line of the Minsk subway. 

In the neighborhood, in Karl Liebknecht Street, there is a leather goods factory, an old building of the post-war era. It has ben producing goods for 90 years already.

The name Pleschanka is not used today, it can be found only in history articles.

On the 1903 map of Minsk there is the placename Pleschanka. One of the versions of the origin of the curious name refers to the Nemiga River and its waters that produced the characteristic water sound (pleskatstya - to splash). But in fact the Nemiga River was a little away from Pleschanka. Moreover the river itself could not spread this wide. In fact Nemiga resembled a modest trickle more.

The toponymic dictionary of Vladimir Zhuchkevich states that Pleschanka is a dialect word meaning a small pond dug for household needs: to rinse the laundry and breed poultry. And there are a lot of such ponds here. Were they in the area of ​​former brickworks from which there remained careers, which were then filled with water.

An accurate map of the beginning of the 60s shows that the small pond was near the railway station "Minsk-North."

Vadim Zelenkov, candidate of physical and mathematical sciences, ethnographer:
This suburb was called German settlement (Nemetskaya Sloboda) or also a Lutheran settlement. The fact is that many Germans lived here. In the mid-90s of the XVIII century, here came a group of Germans from the German state of Württemberg. As a result there appeared Malolyuteranskaya (Small Lutheran) Street, Lutheran street (today - Volokha). The alley on which we are now standing was called Lutheran (now - Northern).

Northern Lane (Alley) is a unique architectural monument for Minsk wooden architecture of the early XX century. Railway workers in those days were the labor aristocracy, so their houses were good, neat, with carved frames.

Pre-revolutionary Pleschanka was what today is called the sleeping area, but instead of high-rise buildings - there was a sea of ​​small wooden houses. The suburb had only one small brick factory, which was located in the area Matveevskaya Street (now - Rosa Luxemburg Street). In Soviet times, the situation changed and a piece of street, Karl Liebknecht (from Clara Zetkin Street to the railway) became a kind of industrial area.

Half a century ago, this place was cursed for all drivers of Minsk. Then, before the construction of the highway, which is now called Dzerzhinsky Avenue, the only way connecting the city center and the area of ​​Karl Liebknecht and Rosa Luxemburg was this railway-crossing.

Today suburban trains go here. But in Soviet times there were many trains that went to all the Baltic republics. The railway-crossing opened briefly and traffic jams were enormous for Minsk. Bus 23 that plied this route was terribly behind schedule.

The corner of Kupriyanova Street and Karl Liebknecht Street is the last point of the Pleschanka route. The local garden is called Lutheran; it is built on the site of the old German Lutheran Cemetery.

Prior to 1846, when a new church was built in the center of the city, Zakharyevskaya Street, there was a church of St. Nicholas here. Since then, there have grown tall trees, benches have been put and a children's playground created.

Vadim Zelenkov, candidate of physical and mathematical sciences, ethnographer:
Here's what Shpilevsky writes about it: "This cemetery is very well arranged and rather like a dense forest or garden than a cemetery. It is surrounded by a trench and a moat, and fruit trees are planted. Many residents go for a walk here and pick mushrooms." Back in the late 70s, I saw this cemetery. Then it was very densely forested, monuments could hardly be seen. It was, in fact, the border of Minsk. Then fields and farms started. Here ended Pleschanka and here ends our story about it.