Minsk buildings with medical past: from Suvorov Military School to Minsk Treasury

Cats

Minsk buildings with medical past: from Suvorov Military School to Minsk Treasury

Today the TV program Minsk and Minsk residents will deal with the buildings that have medical past. The first point of our journey together with our guide, doctor Olga Kulpanovich is the Minsk Suvorov Military School, which used to be a hospital.

Olga Kulpanovich, Head of the Department of Economics and Accounting in Health Belarusian Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education, associate professor, candidate of medical sciences:
In 1810, Catholic Bishop Yakov Dederko addressed the faithful with a call to build a hospital for the poor and disadvantaged. And in 1811 the Catholic charitable society was organized. It was this very organization that started the implementation of this initiative. The War of 1812 prevented the construction.

Only in 1822 the money was collected to build a two-storey hospital building with wide corridors, chambers, almshouse and the church.

In 1824, a pharmacy and a tea-dining room opened at the hospital. There was also established an orphanage.

Local doctors used physiotherapy in addition to pharmaceuticals and dietary therapy. The formed included "electric" baths, vibratory massage, hot air shower and electric shock treatment used low voltage.

Olga Kulpanovich:
In 1840, the Catholic charity "Dobrochinnost" sold the building for 200 thousand rubles in silver. And this hospital moved to Feletsianovskaya Street (then it was called Bogadelnaya and then Komsomolskaya). The latter name is still used today.

The building of the former hospital housed the Minsk Theological Seminary from September 1, 1840.

Olga Kulpanovich:
One of the graduates of the Minsk Theological Seminary was Fedor Pasternatsky. Later he graduated from the Imperial Military-Medical Academy in St. Petersburg and became a prominent physician, famous around the world.
From 1927 to 1934 the building housed the Joint Military School.

In the 1940s, two floors were added to the building. The building was to house apartments. However, WWII prevented the plans of architects.

Only in 1953, the building was restored. At that time, the Minsk Suvorov Military School we know now was opened.

We go further. The next point of our trip is 26 Myasnikova Street. This two-story building also has a medical history.

Olga Kulpanovich:
It was built in 1928 according to the project of the chief architect of Minsk Gerasim Yakushko. In the 1960-1980s, this building housed the Cardiology Clinic.

Now this building houses the Minsk Treasury. Its facade features a protection sign and it was included in encyclopedic references.

Moving on. This is the third city hospital named after Klumov. Founded in 1828, it still maintains its profile. The one-storey building was built in 1898 by the Jewish charity "Justice."

Olga Kulpanovich:
There were beds, and a therapeutic division. Currently, after renovations, the building houses an archive and educational buildings, and some learning units of the Minsk Medical University.

In the 20th century, the hospital was greatly expanded: there is a therapeutic unit. A memorial plaque reminds us about its past, dedicated to memory of outstanding surgeon and gynecologist Evgeny Klumov.

Olga Kulpanovich:
He interacted with the guerrillas of the Minsk district during WWII and helped them, provided them with medical aid, medicines and surgical instruments. It is here where the underground group operated. In 1944 he was killed in a gas chamber after refusing to cooperate with the Nazis.

In this building with almost 100-year history, wonderful ophthalmologist Tatyana Birich had more than a dozen surgeries. She turned into a professor, corresponding member of the Academy of Sciences of the Belarusian SSR and honored worker of science.

Olga Kulpanovich:
She began to work in this building in 1928 and enjoyed great prestige. She was an ophthalmologist and made complicated ophthalmic surgeries on the eyeball.

Today, Hospital No3 is a diversified medical institution which is one of the best in Minsk and the Minsk region.