What you did not know about houses in Victory Square

Cats

What you did not know about houses in Victory Square

Houses with turrets, which are located on both sides of Victory Square, continue a solemn system of buildings along Nezavisimosti Avenue and are familiar to every citizen of Minsk.

The architectural complex around Victory Square (up to November 1958, it was called Kruglaya Square) was already formed to the mid-1950s. Houses were built gradually. And the houses №34, 36 and 38 were built much faster than the twins on the opposite side.

Mikhail Barshch and the Aranauskas brothers were the architects of this complex. The sketches of houses created by them are stored in the National Scientific and Technical Documentation Archives.

The first variant of the ensemble slightly differs from the final one. The architects had to refuse of some details during the construction, following the decision of struggle against architectural extravagances. A beautiful two-tiered fountain remained on paper.

Also, the houses on both sides should have mirrored each other but this idea wasn't finished. Buildings on the odd side are connected by entrance gates and buildings on the other side by original architectural insets.

It is possible to trace the history of the construction of the ensemble by the years engraved on each building. For example, in 1952, at the corner of Nezavisimosti Avenue and Kommunisticheskaya Street, there was erected house No.31. It seems that the house does not differ from other neighbors. Nevertheless, it has its own peculiarities. Firstly, the house is notable for its "shoes", on which is stands.

The fact is that this building, unlike the others, was built near the Svisloch river, on wet soil. That’s why it was necessary to use reinforced concrete blocks resembling "shoes".  Blocks were made near the object under construction. Thanks to the new method, house No.31 doesn’t suffer from moisture. And secondly, during the construction, there were laid the bricks of the Pavlov house in Volgograd.

On the first floor of the house on Kommunisticheskaya Street, the department store of the Ministry of Local Industry of the BSSR was located on the place of the modern boutique.

At the corner of house No.35, as before, there is a grocery store. Near house No.38, it still smells of fresh pastries. Today, there is the Karavai shop here, while in the 1950s, here stood the shop called Bulochnaya (Bakery). It was opened in the end of March, 1954 and worked from 8 am to 12 am and was famous for a large assortment of pastries.

On the roof of house No.34, a signboard said: “Buy chocolate, cookies and candies of Belarusian confectioneries!” The first floor was occupied by store No.37. People just called it Ovoshchnoi (Greengrocery).

According to the explanatory notes attached to the design documents of the complex boiler-rooms and woodsheds were located in the basements of the houses. The buildings were equipped with water, sewerage and central hot water supply.

Facades were decorated with colored plaster and decorated with stucco and ceramic tiles. You can admire all this beauty to this day.

 

площади Победы

площади Победы

минск площадь победы

минск площадь победы

минск площадь победы

минск площадь победы