Minsk Orthodox church guide

Cats

Minsk Orthodox church guide

Not a single church was built in Minsk in the course of 80 years from 1914 to 1994. The planned liquidation of already erected churches began in 1917.

The revival started in the 1990s. First, shines were returned to the Belarusian Orthodox Church. Then the building of new churches was resumed.

Some parishes have two or even three churches.

Below are churches built after the year 2000 in areas far from the city center.

Church of Minsk Icon

The church was named after the famous miracle-working icon – the Minsk icon of the Virgin Mary. It swam up to the walls of the old settlement in Minsk in 1500. Minsk residents carefully pulled it out of the Svisloch River. Since then the icon has never left the city.

The relics of the Optina Elders are among the shrines.

Address: 60 Golodeda Street, Zavodskoy District (near Chizhovka Arena)

Church of St. Andrew the First-Called

The first liturgy was chanted in a church that was under construction in the Serebryanka neighborhood on the patron saint's day (December 13, 2005). There were no windows and doors and a piece of tarpaulin was flapping in the cold wind above the uncovered cupola.

The church was consecrated in 2009. 

Three reliquaries with more than 60 holy relics are among the shrines.

Address: 19 Malinina Street, Leninsky District.

Church of St. Sophia of Slutsk

This is the first church erected in honor of St. Sophia of Slutsk in the world. It is situated in Kurasovshchina and its foundations were laid in 2000.

Initially, church services were held in a dental clinic and then they moved to a shopping center. Eventually, they moved to the parish in the basement floor of a church that was under construction. 

The church was consecrated in 2009. In 2012, a monument to St. Sophia of Slutsk was unveiled nearby.

The church became a centre of spiritual music. There is an excellent choir that takes part in festivals of Orthodox chanting.

Address: 108 Kazintsa Street, Oktyabrsky District.

Church of Optina Elders

The Orthodox community in Malinovka was formed in 1997, when the residential area was expanding and there was a need for a church.

Among sacred objects the church has relics of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, St. Seraphim of Sarov and the Optina Elders and also the 18-19th century icons.

Each year the youth center of the parish organizes a city ball of the Orthodox youth annually on Tatiana Day.

Address: 24 Kosmonavtov Street, Moskovsky District.

Church of the Archangel Michael

A cross was placed and an old railway car was brought here as a temporary church. It was made more comfortable for the congregation and with the help of God the church eventually opened for the first liturgy on January 7, 2001.

Nowadays two beautiful churches stand here: the Church of Archangel Michael and the baptismal Church of Saint Blessed Xenia of St. Petersburg.

Address: 2 Yankovskogo Street, Frunzensky District. 

Church of the Intercession

The history of the church in Vesnyanka dates back to the 17th century. It started in 1612, when the icon of Virgin Mary was found in spring waters on the Day of Intercession. Unfortunately, the fate of this icon has been unknown since the Second World War.

Nowadays there is the Church of Intercession consecrated in 2007.

The relics of St. Stephan the Protomartyr, icons with the relics of St. Andrew of Crete, St. Sergius of Radonezh, St. Seraphim of Sarov, the Optina Elders, St. Euphrosyne of Polotsk and St. Sophia of Slutsk are among the shrines.

Address: 82 Pobeditelei Avenue, Tsentralnyi District.

Majestic Church

The church has a splendid interior with a figured granite floor, frescos and mosaic canvas in the Byzantine style. The combination of mosaics and paintings on the arches is quite rare. This technique is very old and it was used for decorating imperial churches. 

The church was consecrated in 2008.

The relics of St. John the Precurser, the Apostles Sts. Andrew, Peter and Paul, Mark the Evangelist, St. John Chrysostom, St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephan the Protomartyr and St. Pantaleon are among the shrines.

The biannual festival of Orthodox chanting “Derzhavnyi Glas” has been held here since 2010. 

Address: 2 Vygotskogo Street. Tsentralnyi District.

Resurrection Church

It took four years to finish the decoration of the church from all sides. There are figures of Belarusian Saints Sophia of Slutsk, Euphrosyne of Polotsk, Valentina of Minsk on the columns holding the arches.

The church was consecrated in 2008. The relics of St. Euphrosyne of Polotsk and the Optina Elders are among the shrines.

Address: 29 Gamarnika Street. Sovetsky District.

Trinity Church

The wooden Trinity Church is located near the Church of All Saints in the residential area Vostok.

The church was constructed in an old way from non-cylindrical bars without nails.

It is comfortable there during services even in the cold weather because of the heating under the floor.

It took three years to build the church. It was consecrated in 2006.

Address: 1 Usichsviackaja vulica [All Saints Street]. Pervomaisky District.

Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker

When the church was under construction in Sokol, aviators’ settlement, no one doubted that it would be named after St. Nicholas. He is considered a patron of travelers, sailors and flyers. 

The church was consecrated in 2003. In 2010, a monument to St. Nicholas was placed nearby. 

Icons of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker are among the shrines.

Address: 20 Baramzinoi Street. Oktyabrsky District.

Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker

It smells of pine inside and it seems that walls give off warmth. Unpainted timber floor seems to be white.

The church in Shabany is new but the icons are old.

“We were lucky to get a batch of old icons that was confiscated by the customs when someone tried to take them abroad,” archpriest Aleksiy Mikhlyuk said.

The church was consecrated in 2004.

Once a month there are missionary liturgies during which one can learn more about psalms, prayers and services.

Address: 28a Yelnitskaya Street. Zavodskoi District.

Church of St. Athanasius of Brest

The church boasts a copy of the miracle-working icon of Virgin Mary “Vsetsaritsa” brought here from Athos in 2010.

Now a lot of pilgrims come here from all parts of the country.

The stories of miraculous healings after physical and mental illnesses are published on the website of the parish with the believers’ consent.

The church was consecrated in 2008.

The cross with a relics of the True Cross and the Kupyatitskaya icon of Virgin Mary are among the shrines.

Address: 8a Rogachyovskaya Street (Rahačoŭskaja vulica). Pervomaisky District.

Source: Minsk Novosti (Minsk News)